This post is dedicated to my Uncle Marc, who always has a sense of adventure! He is always looking for ways to make life a little more awesome. Whether its running, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, skiing, backpacking, camping, traveling.... you name it. His next adventure? Mt. Kilimanjaro. Awesome. I have just a *few* memories of the adventures he has taken me, my brothers, and my cousins on....
- Taking me and my cousin skiing for the first time
- Camping at the cabin
- Hiking along the Appalachian Trail and sleeping in a cabin (this may not have turned out the way he planned, but that's another story!)
- Getting thrown up in the air at the airplane park in Washington, D.C.
- Running my first 5k in Washington D.C. (My uncle's bib number was "1".... no lie! I'll never forget that!)
- Having sleepovers with all the cousins - which included making a hilarious mini-movie that we still laugh about (yeah, we're a close family), and drawing on a wall in his basement
- Trying strange foods like sushi or fried oreos in butter
- Crazy catchy songs
- Iceman Cometh mountain bike race - we cheered him on in 2009 (picture on left), and raced in 2010 (2 right)
I know there are more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
The latest adventure?
Frostbite Marathon Relay
A team of 8 of us ran at total of 26.2 miles today. Some of us avid runners....some of us...not. :) I admit, I did not train near as hard for this (and I wasn't the only one!). Despite the fact that I hadn't ran more than 1.5 miles since....uh..... 2010... I made it! I could tell my legs weren't quite up to shape but other than that it was a good run. I saw the hubby waiting for the switch before I knew it. We had two cars so I only saw the first half of the race. I don't have pictures of everyone, but about 4.5 hours later we enjoyed some good eats at the Curragh.
My mom started us off! It goes so fast when you're following along in a car. :)
Next was Aunt Jan!
Waiting for my turn....brrrrrr!
Slow and steady...
And Josh is off....#4
My brother, his fiance and her dad, were the next 3 laps. No pictures! Boo!
They did awesome though. I warmed up at The Curragh with Jonah and my mom while we waited for my uncle to get close...
Getting ready to meet Uncle Marc at the finish..
My brother, Jared. He has a contagious laugh!
...best part of his run? Training at 7,000 ft. :)
Oh and there was a contest for making a baton. I made ours to look just like his dog, Ernie. :)
No, we didn't win. But isn't he cute?!
It was a great, relaxing race. No times, no official finish line. Just fun.
Who knows where the next adventure will lead us.....